Roger Milburn is an Investment Manager and arbitration specialist in LCM’s Singapore office.
With over 15 years of experience in dispute resolution, Roger is responsible for managing LCM’s offering throughout Asia where he established LCM’s first office outside of Australia in Singapore in 2018. His extensive expertise in conducting international arbitration under the SIAC, LCIA, ICC and UNCITRAL rules, his involvement in commercial and cross-border litigation, as well as his experience in the insolvency sector enable him to originate, assess and manage the full range of funded disputes projects.
Roger has specialised in dispute finance since joining LCM in 2018. He has rapidly developed expertise and garnered market recognition with respect to identifying and assessing prospective funding opportunities ahead of devising and structuring user-friendly dispute finance arrangements. Roger deploys the depth of his experience and detailed knowledge of the law and international commercial dispute processes in working closely with LCM’s clients and their legal teams to navigate the efficient progress of funded claims to a positive outcome.
Prior to joining LCM, Roger spent over 10 years in private practice working for the international law firm Berwin Leighton Paisner (now Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner) in London, Singapore and Hong Kong, where he conducted a broad range of high value, complex, cross-border disputes with a particular focus on the construction, energy, natural resources, financial and technology sectors.
- Roger graduated with a degree in jurisprudence from Wadham College, Oxford University in 2004
- Solicitor (England & Wales) – 2008
- “The Use of Litigation Finance in disputes along China’s Belt and Road”; published in CDR magazine 2021 Essential Intelligence: The Belt and Road Initiative (September, 2021).
- “A View From The Other Side: Advocacy Tips from Leading Arbitrators of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators”; sub-Editor Roger Milburn; published by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2021)*
- “Enabling Legislation: Check; Code of Practice for Third Party Funders: Check; Third Party Funding for Arbitration in Hong Kong is Ready for Lift Off!”; published in the Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2019)
- “Singapore court sets aside investment treaty award on merits for the first time”; published in the Practical Law Arbitration Blog (2017)
- “Arbitration builds on progress in Asia”; published by South China Morning Post (2013)
- Roger is also asked to provide comment to the press in relation to litigation finance. For example, International Financial Law Review “Singapore expands litigation funding scope for insolvency cases”
- Roger is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Roger is ranked in Band 1 in Chambers and Partners’ Guide for Litigation Funding in South-East Asia
- Roger has been recognised as a Thought Leader for Third Party Funding by Who’s Who Legal annually since 2020